Source: Haris, R. Symbols of Tatarstan. Kazan: Magarif Publishing House, 2005, p. 64.
Kazan province (Gubernia) (1708-1920) did not have its own official flag.
The territory of the Kazan Khanate, after being annexed to Russia, was deprived of the status of self-governing political unit and was governed by the Prikaz of the Kazan Palace, one of the central state bodies of power in Russia.
There is no information about the state symbols from the era of the Prikaz of the Kazan Palace (from the mid-1500s to 1708).
The Flag of the Kazan Khanate (1438-1552) was a yellow piece of cloth depicting a winged, four-legged, black dragon with an arrow-shaped tongue and tail. The dragon faces the opposite direction of the flagpole.*
* Description by Karlus Alyard in a book about ship construction and flags published in Amsterdam in 1705 and translated into Russian and published in Russia in 1709. In this work, he also describes another flag as, “...yellow with a black owl, the paws of which are yellowish.”
The flag of the city of Kazan is a rectangular white and green piece of cloth. Its width- to-length ratio is 2 to 3. The Coat of Arms of Kazan lies in the centre of the flag. A white stripe, taking up 4/5 of the flag’s width, is on the top. A green stripe, that is 1/5 of flag’s width, is on the bottom.